|Being one of the most long lived organisations of any kind in Putaruru, the Putaruru Golf Club has seen many homes.
In 1920 a few holes were marked out on the property of the late Mr A Bent on Overdale Road. In 1921 a meeting was called to form a Golf Club and a subscription of £1-1-0 for men and 10/6d for ladies was proposed. This was subsequently amended to 5/- for men and 2/6d for ladies.
In the course of time, the ladies section became the Ladies Club. The first recorded Annual General Meeting of the Putaruru Golf Club was held in April 1924. It is of interest to learn that at the AGM in May 1929 the ladies were given the right to be represented by two ladies who could attend club meetings, but there is no record of them using that privilege until 1933.
On the night of Wednesday 11th December 1968, a devastating fire destroyed the Clubhouse, furnishings and honours board. An extraordinary meeting was held on 23rd January 1969 to decide whether or not to purchase a redundant Clubhouse from Lochiel Golf Club, but it was decided to rebuild and in October 1969 the new facility was officially opened. In 1970, at last the Club could realise a dream it had cherished for years - the abolition of the sheep and green fences. The flock was sold and the farming activities ceased after 18 years of profit for the Club. As a result, it was necessary to substantially increase subscriptions and continue with fundraising, to start to reduce the $20,000.00 that was borrowed - the cost of the new Clubhouse.
Over the years, there have been ongoing improvements to the course, which is carried out by one fulltime course superintendent, plus a part-time employee, who are supported by a strong ground committee and playing members.
The rolling terrain gives the course a picturesque and park like appearance of which a par of 72 is a test for most golfers.